My First Buck

As many of you may know many Americans recently celebrated the holiday Thanksgiving! I had a very thrilling Thanksgiving break. At my school, we get off school for about a week to celebrate Thanksgiving with our family’s. This Thanksgiving break I shot my first buck. The picture above is from Photos For Class.

I can still feel the sensation of watching my buck fall to the ground. A buck is a male deer. Ever since September, I have been going out to hunt with my grandpa. With the hopes of shooting my first buck. It all started off, target shooting with my grandpa and his 22 which is a gun. Eventually, I got to shot his big gun. I practiced target shooting with it on Thanksgiving day. I ended up shooting my first buck 5 days after that.

My grandpa and I were sitting in the cabin and we had seen many does or female deer. I am estimating that we saw about 8 does. All of the sudden all of the does dashed into the pine trees. I was surprised because that is an indicator that there is a buck coming, and we hadn’t seen a buck all year. I grabbed my gun and slowly put on headphones to quiet the loud gunshot. And then it all happened a buck appeared out of the pine trees. He slowly made his way towards the pile of corn. And then my hopes dropped as he smelled my scent and ran into the pine trees. To my grandpa’s and I’s surprise, he turned around and headed back towards us. My grandpa tapped my shoulder and said “get ’em”. I found the shoulder of the buck and aimed a little behind it. With my finger on the trigger, I slowly pulled it until my gun fired. And to my surprise, the buck dropped right in the spot I shot him. Most commonly the buck will run about 50-100 yards before dropping. However, my buck didn’t go anywhere.

I just stood there beaming ear to ear and my legs were shaking. All of this because I had finally done it! My grandpa and I called my Uncle Josh to tell him the big news, and I sent out a text to my family. We made our way up to the buck to make sure he was dead. And to my amazement, I had shot a 10 point as my first buck (points are like the spikes on the buck’s antlers my buck had 10 which is a large first buck)! We headed back to the barn where my family had gathered to congratulate me. We got the tractor and went to go get my buck. We brought him back to the barn and hung him from the bucket to gut him. Gutting a deer is basically taking out his insides and just leaving the meat. I got to gut my buck with this really big knife. I thought I was going to cut myself with it.

After we gutted him we loaded him in the bed of the truck. Once he was in the truck we took him to the deer processer to get some yummy meat out of him. The deer processer skinned him and put him in a large fridge. The deer processer makes the meat from the deer into deer jerky, sausage, and burgers. We just got the meat back from the processer two days ago. The sausage is really good, I need to stop eating so much of it!

This thanksgiving was everything but boring to say the least. I am looking forward to hanging the head of my buck by my bed in my room. I don’t know if I will ever be able to top this thanksgiving!